06 November 2012

battle plan

So I have had some time off, being absorbed by the little one. And hormones. And my article has been rejected, reviewers claiming I should completely re-do the thing (which costed me 1,5 years) on a different sample. Getting that sample and approval to do testing will cost at least another 1,5 years. So perhaps not... This made me realise I want to get this thesis over with. I have the needed amount of publications. Why not write up the other chapters and NOT wait for them to be published as well. I am sort of done with academia because of 1. said comments on paper. Not the exact comments, but the fact that it works this way 2. the job insecurity 3. wages 4. the pressure on me to move abroad in order to make it as a scientist. Leaving my family or uprooting them is regarded as a small sacrifice by senior scientists in the various selection committees who did not feel this pressure when they were my age and are now installed with such high wages that uni can't afford hiring anybody else but 'them fossils'. Well, for my family (husband, little one, parents, sister, in-laws etc etc this is not a small sacrifice, nor will me leaving little one, husband, and everybody else here and leave alone [insane idea!!] be doable) I think I have written this before. And will probably write such a post again. I just need to find the strength to keep my back straight and not cave in to the pressure of the committee who wants me to submit/re-write/submit/re-write. I want to (analyse, write)x2, staple, defend, PhD. I should print that sentence out and stick it on the fridge....

1 comment:

  1. Ouch and oh dear about teh comments on teh article. But to be honest if you don't need it since you've got the needed number of publications why don't you just get the thesis over and done with and deal with the article afterwards. Don't cave into the pressure of your committee since it sounds as if you just want to get your thesis over, be free and do what you want. Remember that "them fossils" are being paid and they can say what they want but at the end of the you have to live with your own conscience. Ok, enough said..I'll not say anymore. Hang in there ;-)

    his made me realise I want to get this thesis over with. I have the needed amount of publications. Why not write up the other chapters and NOT wait for them to be published as well.

    ReplyDelete